On Twitter:

Wednesday 19 March 2008

Emotion as a social construct in the lifeworld

I've always started from the premise of studying thoughts and emotions and because they are not accesssible to a researcher by observation (although emotions can be but they can also be masked), I wanted to find out about them in dialogue with mentors. However, if I am assuming that emotion is socially constructed within the life world of a mentor, and if my focus is on the life world (as it is), then I can't really assume that emotions are internal to a person. A mentor's experience of emotion in carrying out the role will be in the context of social interactions, rationalisations and perceptions that are shaped by cultural, social and professional context. In dialogue, emotion and thoughts are mediated by language which imposes limitations on how they are and can be expressed.

I wonder how easy it is going to be for the mentors in my study to share with me how they experience their lifeworld. What other sources of data can inform my knowledge and understanding of the mentor's lifeworld? Could they capture their experience in a drawing or in some of the records they keep in the process of doing the job? Would it be feasible to ask mentors to reflect on the naturally occurring data that make up the lifeworld of mentoring and what would this add to the study?

No comments:

Post a Comment